Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan, Whole30)
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive cook time: 40 minutes |Active cook time: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
Making soups like this velvety Whole30 butternut squash soup below used to intimidate me. Who has time to ladle out soup little by little from a pot on their stove into a blender? Ugh, not me. Not to mention the mess. This immersion blender is the answer. You literally just stick it into the pot you are cooking in on the stove and blend it all up. Just make sure the pot you use is big enough to hold everything before you start cooking! I love using my dutch oven, for instance, because it is super nonstick so none of the veggies brown while I’m cooking them down, it has a lid for simmering, and it’s big enough to make blending super easy. This soup is great for easy fall dinners and reheats nicely for a quick lunch. And making it will make you feel like a real deal chef, if only for a minute.
Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients:
1-2 TBS Olive Oil
1 large butternut squash, roasted*
1 small onion, finely chopped*
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2″ piece fresh ginger, grated
1 15-oz can coconut milk (check ingredients for Whole30 compliance)
2 cups vegetable broth* (check ingredients for Whole30 compliance)
3/4″ tsp salt + a sprinkle
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of cayenne (optional)
pumpkin seeds for serving (optional)
*ingredients on sale at Heinen’s for week of 10/24/18-10/30/18
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut butternut squash in half and remove seeds. Brush olive oil over surface of squash and sprinkle with salt. Place squash flesh side down on baking sheet and roast in oven for about 50-60 minutes until very tender.
- About 15 minutes before squash is done, heat remaining olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once heated, add onion and saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for two minutes more.
- Finally, add cayenne, cinnamon, salt, coconut milk (reserve just a tad for garnish), and broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While this is simmering remove all flesh from the skin of the butternut squash and break into smaller pieces.
- Add all butternut squash to pot and, with immersion blender, begin blending the soup until you achieve a velvety consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Find the perfect Christmas Tree this Holiday Season and make memories that last a lifetime!
Community Baby Show helping over 30,000 families scheduled for November 21, 2021
My Green Mattress: Big Black Friday Savings and Even Bigger Health Benefits!