Whole30 Vegan Pesto ‘Spaghetti’ Bowl
This vegan pesto spaghetti is one of my absolute favorite vegetarian/vegan dishes. It’s as easy as roasting some veggies and food processing up some pesto while they cook. I used to not care for eggplant until I figured out how delicious it is roasted up. Roasted eggplant is now one of my favorite things and it just adds so much flavor to this dish. I think of the eggplant as the ‘meat’ of this dish and the spaghetti squash as the noodles. The roasted tomatoes jazz it up a bit and the pesto really brings it all together. It doesn’t get much simpler or much more satisfying than this.
And did I mention that this pesto is a breeze to make?! It basically amounts to throwing a bunch of stuff in the food processor and giving it a few quick pulses. I tried it with cashews and pine nuts and I gotta say I prefer the pesto with cashews. If you’ve ever had the Trader Joe’s vegan pesto, this was the inspiration for it and it definitely tastes similar.
As for the eggplant. Like i said before I wasn’t a fan of this veggie until I discovered how perfectly delightful it is roasted. But be sure to use plenty of olive oil to coat it. Eggplant is like a sponge and absorbs a lot of liquid. This is what it should look like when it’s all said and done. It morphs from spongy to a very creamy texture – heaven.
Of course, if you’d like to add some meat to this dish you definitely could. It’d be as easy as tossing in some rotisserie chicken or cooking up some Italian sausage. But I love it with the veggies as the star and I hope you do too!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
1 spaghetti squash
1 pint grape tomatoes
3 TBS EVOO
Ingredients For Pesto:
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup EVOO
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup or 1.5 oz fresh basil, taken off stems
1 cup flat leaf parsley, taken off stems
1/2 cup dino kale, taken off stems
juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 and line two baking sheets.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half crosswise (so the strands are longer, like spaghetti) and coat with EVOO and sprinkle with S&P. Place on the first half of a baking sheet.
- Trim ends off eggplant. Cut crosswise into 1/2″ discs. Place on second baking sheet and brush both sides with EVOO and S&P.
- Toss grape tomatoes in EVOO and S&P and add to the second half of baking sheet.
- Put both baking sheets in oven. Cook tomatoes and eggplant for 25-30 minutes (flip eggplants and toss tomatoes after 15 minutes), and spaghetti squash for 45-50 minutes or until it can be easily pierced with a fork.
- While the vegetables roast, add cashews to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Then, add garlic, basil, parsley, and kale and pulse to combine.
- Once that is combined, slowly add 1/2 cup EVOO pulsing until combined.
- Add lemon juice and S&P. Continue adding more EVOO to reach your desired consistency.
- To serve, add spaghetti squash to a bowl along with tomatoes, the cut up roasted eggplant, and top with pesto and garnish with basil. Enjoy!
other recipe features
Find the perfect Christmas Tree this Holiday Season and make memories that last a lifetime!
Community Baby Show helping over 30,000 families scheduled for November 21, 2021
My Green Mattress: Big Black Friday Savings and Even Bigger Health Benefits!