Immunity-Boosting Carrot Turmeric Soup
This winter has been ROUGH, y’all. In our house, it’s been constant sickness, and every 3 weeks it seems like something new crops up. But you have a potent weapon to combat the winter woes that is often overlooked – your kitchen!
Check out this this tasty, immunity-boosting recipe from The Foodie Physician, Dr. Sonali Ruder. You’ve probably seen the “it” ingredient of the moment (ahem, tumeric) all over the place lately. Tumeric contains lots of curcerin, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent (pro tip: you have to ingest it to benefit from these properties, so don’t use it to color bath bombs like I did!). The recipe is also Whole 30-friendly if you omit the yogurt garnish.
“This nutrient-packed soup has plenty of antioxidants to give your immune system a boost, which is especially important during flu season! It’s a simple dish that can be made in one pot so there’s minimal clean up. Kids will love it too because of the bright color and natural sweetness from the carrots,” says Dr. Ruder.
- 1½ tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional garnishes: Greek yogurt cilantro leaves, sunflower seeds
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, garlic, and turmeric and cook for another minute, releasing the fragrance.
- Add the carrots and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook about 25 minutes, until carrots are tender. Stir in the orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup until smooth. Immersion blenders are awesome for this, but a regular blender works fine too.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls and top each with garnishes like Coconut Milk (for Whole30 Compliance) Greek yogurt, cilantro, and sunflower seeds.
Adapted from Source: Immunity-Boosting Carrot Turmeric Soup | The Local Moms Network
Your kids will love these cute popsicles and you will love how easy they are to make! But make sure to try the ones just for you and cool off with a fun summer treat!
Kick off the start of the Summer with 2 fabulous Sangria recipes, perfect for cookouts! They also make perfect mocktails that the whole family can enjoy!
Tired of the same old Memorial Day feast? Look no further – our Memorial Day Recipe Roundup is here and it’s sure to mix things up!