Heinen’s Weekly Deal Meal – Pork Butternut Squash (Whole30)
Seared Pork with Butternut Squash and Apples (Whole30)
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 20-25 minutes | Serves 3-4
Butternut squash is one of my fall favorites. I don’t normally wax poetic about vegetables but this squash – peeling the skin reveals just pure color joy – the vibrant golden orange, the light green pinstriping – it’s just delightful. And roasted next to red onions – the colors are reminiscent of fall itself. The butter roasted apples put it over the edge. (Maybe double the batch and eat them for dessert). Served alongside a quick seared pork chop this pork butternut squash recipe is such an easy, no fuss, any-night meal. It’s got the sweet, savory, fall trifecta going for it and it is GOOD and ridiculously simple.
From the Pantry:
* 2 TBS + 2 TSP olive oil
* 2 TBS ghee or unsalted butter (Ghee for Whole30)
* Salt and Pepper
Heinen’s Weeky Circular Ad Ingredients:
* 1 large butternut squash cut into 1” cubes
* 1 red onion cut into ½” dice
* 2 large or 3 small Honeycrisp apples
* 1-1.5 pounds of boneless pork chops
- Preheat oven to 375
- Peel skin of squash and then trim off both ends. Slice down the middle lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard. Separate the wider, hollow base from the solid upper section and then cut squash into 1 inch cubes and put in large mixing bowl.
- Dice red onion and add to mixing bowl along with squash.
- To the mixing bowl add the 2TBS olive oil and season liberally with salt & pepper
- Toss well to combine and then spread evenly over parchment lined baking sheet and roast in oven until squash is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting peel and core the apples and cut into 1” cubes and place in mixing bowl.
- Toss with melted butter or ghee and season lightly with salt.
- Transfer apple to parchment lined baking sheet and roast until apples are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- While the apples and butternut squash roast, pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a cast iron pan (or any heavy bottomed pan) heat 2TSP of olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the seasoned pork and cook 4-6 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through.
- Once the butternut squash and apples are finished roasting toss to combine and adjust seasoning.
Serve alongside the seared pork chops for a quick, delicious fall meal!