Appletree Books at Cedar Fairmount – A Place for Kids
Part 1 of a New Series Featuring the Best Cleveland Independent Bookstores
Bookstores have always held a special place in my world because of a certain holiday tradition my family had when I was growing up. Every Christmas, my uncle would give all of us cousins a gift card to the bookstore. After the holidays passed and the magic of the snow began its slow fade to oblivion, we would pick a day to meet up and cash in. That simple gift from our uncle gave us something to look forward to – an uplifting adventure in the bleakest part of the year. It gave us the opportunity for a new story.
And so, bookstores have become a part of my story. They are where I go when I need a pick-me-up, alone time, quiet time, a reboot. I really don’t know if bookstores would mean that much to me without that tradition year after year, but those associations formed in childhood are strong and we hold onto them. That means that bookstores are important! We need to hold onto them, too. And for that reason, they need to be a place for kids to go – a place to read, hear, and learn the stories of others.
Lynn took over Appletree Books on Cedar at Fairmount a few years back. She committed to creating a space for children where there wasn’t much of one before. Boy has she done it. She literally knocked down a wall and nearly doubled the size of the original space. That new space now features a dedicated children’s section with an extensive selection and sweet little spaces for kids to explore. There is also a sunny place for events – one of them being a story-time circle for kids every Thursday at 11AM.
I can’t think of a better place to spend the morning with your wee one. Listening to new stories, meeting new friends – hopefully it will be a memory they come to cherish over time. A memory that drives their future self to seek out the stories of others and keeps them going in the direction of their wild imaginations. Such small acts can foster lifelong habits. Come. And let story-time become a part of their story.
Cleveland Independent Bookstore Appletree Books
Appletree Books Highlights:
- Appletree books (located at 12419 Cedar Rd) has story-time on Thursdays at 11AM for kids 1yr – preschool (little babes of big brothers and sisters are always welcome). This lovely story time is now a part of our calendar, so you can check it out there too!
- Make sure to grab a story-time punch card for your kiddos; for every 6 story-times they attend they will get to pick a book for free!
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer storyteller for story-time, click here for more info.
- Appletree has several other great features worth noting – an expanded young adult section for your older youngsters, music events (more info on their website), an art wall featuring local artists once a month and cards & gift wrapping as well so you can get birthday or holiday gifts all in one place!
- Be sure to sign up for their frequent buyer program because when you spend $200 on anything in the store you get a $20 gift card
- Appletree’s adult book club, Books in a Bar, meets at the classic Nighttown the second Monday of every month. The sessions fill quickly, though, so make sure you sign up in advance! You can do that here.
Have you seen our other Around the Town features? Check them out below!
Adrenaline Monkey in Cleveland is taking every precaution they can to make your experience fun, exciting, and as safe as possible!! Read all about our visit!
Find the best sledding hills on Cleveland’s East Side!
If you do nothing this holiday season, make sure to book your stay at the Mr. Kringle Suite at the Hilton Downtown Cleveland Hotel! Buddy the Elf will be jealous and your kids will never forget this experience!