A Beginner’s Guide to Burn Boot Camp
I started working out. It’s a big deal, well, for me anyway! It’s always been on my “to do” list, but something or someone always took precedence. I completely fell into the “mom trap” of putting myself last and that’s OK because my kids and family needed me. But now that they are both in school, I’m taking some well deserved “me time” and my #1 goal was to workout. Sure, I’d like to lose weight and feel stronger, that’s always an added perk, I’m not gonna lie. But what I really want is to set a good example for my kids, let them see me accomplish my goals and feel better in the process! Enter Burn Boot Camp in Beachwood!
Let me start out by saying, I really don’t love going to the gym. I find it so boring and never know how to use the equipment the correct way and then get frustrated because I don’t see results or even want to go. So, when I started at Burn 5 short weeks ago, I didn’t know what to expect. Everyone told me how much they loved going, but I truly didn’t know what I was jumping into. I was SO pleasantly surprised! Other than the amount of sweat on my shirt, the first thing I noticed was how quickly time flew by. And the next thing that caught me off-guard was the instant support and encouragement I received from strangers who were at Burn working out and trying to get stronger, just like I was. I never felt less than or not as amazing as anyone else and I still don’t. I love the fact that I go and everyone in the class looks different. No judgement, no competition and no bull-shit!
So, if you haven’t worked out in years, like me, or work out everyday but want to switch things up, here’s what I want you to know about Burn Boot Camp:
- Burn is for EVERYONE! It doesn’t matter where you are at on your journey, just show up! Come as you are. You are WANTED and WELCOME!
- Bring a towel and a water bottle because you will SWEAT! A LOT!
- Get to class about 10 minutes early to stretch, check your child into Child Watch and chat with other members!
- Leave all your worries at the door! For the next 45 minutes, this is all about you!
- Each Burn Boot Camp is a high-intensity 45-minutes workout. You start with a 5 minute warm up, followed by a 25-30 minute workout. No two classes are a like! You are constantly working muscles you didn’t even know you had! You’re body never gets bored and neither does your mind. The workout consists of stations, so you are moving every few minutes to a new exercise! Followed by a 5 minute finisher that really makes your muscles burn!! Then finally, a cool down with stretching and you’re done!
- Burn has a floating foam floor, which is so important! It really helps lessen the impact to your joints while you are working out and as someone who has had back surgery, this is huge!! I was afraid that I would re-injure my back when I started to work out, but this floor is a game changer!
- Burn Boot Camp offers COMPLIMENTARY Child Watch!! This is SO HUGE!!! Your kids can play with others in a safe, clean atmosphere. And Bonus for you and your child(ren), you can see them all the time! My children like to watch me, as they think the faces I make are pretty funny! And I like to see them, it makes me remember to not give up because if they see me give up something, they are more inclined to not see things through and that is such an important lesson for them!
- 1-on-1 Focus Meetings with a trainer anytime you want them. If you need help with eating, they can help. Want to know how many inches you lost? They can do that or even if you just need support for your goals, they are there for you! And they are incredible! Always want to help and always are your biggest cheerleader!
- Focus on what you accomplished, not what you weren’t able too. As my friend and fellow Burner Kelly tells me, “You are doing more than you would have done if you didn’t show up, so celebrate it!” Can’t do 5 burpees? Who cares, do 2 and be proud of them! Because I guarantee you next week, you will be able to do 3 and pretty soon you will be able to do 5 of them! At my first class, I couldn’t do 1 push up. now I can do 3 of them. They might be ugly, but doing 3 means I’m stronger than I was when I started and I’ll take that!
- You will be sore the next day or two and that’s OK. It means you are using those muscles. So drink water and keep working out because I have found the more you keep moving the better your muscles feel!!
- One of the biggest reasons I keep coming back to Burn Boot Camp is the other members! Just when I think I cannot do another squat or lung, someone is there encouraging me, telling me “I’ve got this” or lot of high fives! It’s honestly the most supportive environment I’ve been in, in a LONG time!
- Being a member, you also have access to a “members only” Facebook page where you can ask questions, find recipes or just connect with other members! It’s 100% DRAMA FREE too, which is so refreshing!
- All camps on Saturday morning are free, so it’s the perfect opportunity to bring your spouse or friend and introduce them to what you have been doing!
- Occasionally, Burn also offers classes for kids. My daughter asks all the time when she can work out and loves to go to the fun kid classes!!
Now is the perfect time to join. The kids are back in their routine, so start a new one for yourself! Here’s a link to sign up TODAY!!
I am compensated by Burn Boot Camp. All opinions, thoughts and ideas are 100% my own.
[social_warfare]My kids love watching the Food Network. In fact, we watch as a family, it's one of our favorite things to stream together!! Their favorite shows are Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. My husband and I find it hysterical that they love these shows...
[social_warfare]If you are looking for more trick or treat fun than just October 31st, look no further! We have you covered! Below are local businesses and communities offering trick or treating and Fall fun throughout the month of October. Please make sure...
Make the most of Halloween with these great events on Cleveland’s East Side! You will not want to miss all the fun!